The Inception of Canterbury Golf Club
As early as 1892 there was a golf course in Canterbury, situated on the Old Park which was part of the military training ground attached to the barracks. Following two unsuccessful attempts to find suitable land for a new golf course in 1909 and 1913, a third successful attempt in 1924 saw the opening of negotiations to lease land at Scotland Hills, (close to the 1892 course) from the War Office.
In May 1925, enthusiastic support was given to a plan announced at a well attended meeting, which revealed that the War Office had agreed to lease approximately 160 acres of land to the new golf course for 28 years. £7,000 was required to create the course and clubhouse but applications for debentures had already raised £5,000 of the money needed! This led to the opening of our current course in 1927.
An organising Committee was formed, and by August a further 10½ acres had been acquired and Harry S. Colt, one of the finest golf architects of the day, had surveyed the course and planned it out. Harry Colt’s thoughts were “the first six holes appeared excellent, and the next three on rather duller land should, with bunkering, be good!”
Early in 1926, Messers Frank Harris began the layout of the course and the Committee requested that nine holes should be available for play in advance of the completion of the whole course. In September it was announced that nine holes would be ready for play in the Spring of 1927. The first secretary, Mr T. R. Worthing, was appointed in early 1927 and Fred Bradbeer was appointed as the Professional. Fred was one of seven brothers from Berrow, next to the famous Burnham and Berrow Golf Club, all of whom became golf professionals! Mr Pugh from Hoylake became the first green keeper.